- 1 lb Clam Meat
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 3 stalks Celery diced
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Potato large, diced
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Cream
- 1 Bay Leaf
- pinch Saffron
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Take care not to burn it.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in the flour. Coat the vegetables well. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk to the pot while whisking until thickened. Stir in the cream, diced potato and bay leaf. Over medium heat, bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the clam meat and any liquid to the pot. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes more. Season the chowder to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the bay leaf and ladle chowder into bowls. Serve hot with crusty bread or crackers.
Sodium: 287mg | Calcium: 190mg | Vitamin C: 7mg | Vitamin A: 1480IU | Sugar: 7g | Fiber: 1g | Potassium: 386mg | Cholesterol: 122mg | Calories: 446kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Fat: 38g | Protein: 8g | Carbohydrates: 20g | Iron: 1mg
OCEAN FRIENDLY INGREDIENT!Certified Sustainable – MSC, Seafood Watch, OceanWise or BAP